Our Proven Process
The Dilworth Way
No matter your background, when looking to start your own coffee business, Dilworth Coffee can take you on a 5-step process to help ensure your profitability. We just call this process The Dilworth Way, a proven roadmap that has been used literally hundreds of times to help our partners succeed.
Our approach to business
We have built our offerings and products around 5 core areas:
One of the first serious steps you’ll take toward opening your coffee shop is creating a business plan. Take some time to think about your business strategy: what’s unique to your vision, what do you do best and what do you enjoy? Think about what you want to sell and what type of people you want as customers. Then write this down.
- What do I love doing?
- What can I be good at?
- What can I make money doing?
- Who are my potential customers?
- Where do those people shop now?
- How can I be better than the place those people shop now?
- How much investment do I feel comfortable making and where will I get these resources?
- Finally, define what your vision of success will be 90 and 360 days from start and then 3 years after? Where do you want to end up? Knowing where you want to go is key to helping plan on how to get there.
If you’re eager to open a coffee shop but are daunted by starting one on your own, we have some options.
- We offer training and support to help our wholesale customers create a great coffee experience.
- Our “Proudly Serving Dilworth Coffee” program is a more rigorous effort, built upon a core set of standards and recipes. Join the network of independently owned shops, all working within similar brewing and serving recipes, complimented with marketing support from Dilworth.
- Licensed Dilworth Coffee House network, with extensive training and support for both opening and ongoing operations. Our Dilworth Coffee House licensed program can be a less costly option than a franchise with similar support. Those who do join us, enjoy owner flexibility within a profitable structure.
Having a well-trained team, whether customer facing or preparing product in the back, is essential to your success. With more than three decades of experience running coffee businesses, the team at Dilworth Coffee can help you identify experts both in and out of your company. We also offer a series of coffee educational courses, to help you and your staff become experts at preparing and serving specialty coffee and operating a specialty coffee business. We offer a variety of services to help plan and consult from start up, train the trainer, menu and operational consulting and more.
Whether you are opening a new store or have an existing store you want to grow, so many aspects of your location, layout and atmosphere are keys to repeat business and overall success. We can offer ideas and feedback on real estate and traffic flow, counter, and work area design, back of the house layout, seating, store design and branding, merchandising and point-of-sale display, as well as creating a sensory atmosphere that guests will want to return to time and again. More importantly, you can draw on our expertise on how to position your espresso and coffee brewing workstations within your space to create an extraordinary experience for your customers, all balanced with the operational factors or constraints.
When you have a good idea of characteristics of the customers you seek for your business, we can help you understand how to serve that customer segment. That’s because each customer segment has different ordering preferences and menu requirements to create individual innovative drinks made to order. The team at Dilworth Coffee can help you understand your costs for different menu items and source everything you need from craft-roasted coffees and other specialty beverage items to the right equipment and supplies. With extensive knowledge in logistics and inventory control, our team can help you better understand how they affect your product costs, as well. We can even connect you with companies that specialize in financing for coffee businesses.
Having opened and operated coffee shops ourselves and serving thousands more coffee shop customers, we understand that building strong promotional programs can seem overwhelming. First, it’s not about offering discounts, but a core strategy of acquiring and nurturing customers. For most coffee shops, its all about building the loyal recurring base of customers that will your shop to flourish. That’s why we simplify it using our F.A.T Philosophy. We start with your Marketing Area Profile (MAP) and help you set goals designed to convince your guests to visit more often (Frequency), sell them more during each visit (Average Ticket) and get new customers in the door (Trial), or “F.A.T.”, resulting in a FAT bottom line!
We help customers build private brand coffee awareness and trial through development of public relations, social, digital, and print media campaigns, eye-catching point-of-sale and innovative in-store displays. We do this with tools we have created; our experience in house staff; or even deeper bench of industry professionals who provide experience with current insights.
We're here to help
If you are thinking about opening a coffee shop or already have a specialty coffee business, feel free to contact us. We can provide more detail and explore how we can help you succeed.